Oriental rug prices have risen significantly in the last decade, due to their long-term durability. A rug of even modest quality will most likely outlive you and your children; therefore you should definitely consider these steps towards caring for the valuable and beautiful addition in your home.
- Handmade oriental rugs should be cleaned every two to four years.
- Dan Hodges, President of the Oriental Rug Importers Association says, “Over time grit and dirt become embedded so deeply that professional cleaning is required. Oriental rugs and other area carpets should be taken out of the home for proper cleaning.”
- The cleaning will remove the grit as well as the surface soiling that gradually dulls the appearance of the carpet.
- Never ever allow a wall-to-wall carpet cleaning firm to clean an oriental rug in your home.
- It may sound like a great idea, but nothing could be more harmful to your precious investment. When a cleaner attempts to clean a rug in the home with a hot water extraction machine, the top half of the rug becomes saturated with detergent while the bottom half remains untouched. As quickly as the solution is sprayed onto the rug, it is extracted by the machine’s vacuum. This process never gets the dirt and grit out of the bottom half of the rug’s foundation.
- Have us pick up your oriental rugs for cleaning.
- When your rug is lying flat on the floor, the foundation never has the opportunity to dry properly. This will lead to mildew and dry rot, either ruining the rug or drastically reducing the rugs longevity and value.
- Here at our facility, we dry your rugs as we clean them. The drying process is a crucial part of the cleaning process. Our dry-rooms are state of the art; we are able to control the amount of heat and humidity so that the rug dries under optimal conditions. Many rugs are dried in a vertical, hanging fashion allowing air to circulate on both sides of the rug, which quickens the drying process.
- Protect your oriental rugs from stains and soil with Fiber-Guard.
- Fiber-Guard provides a superior top-to-bottom protection on each and every fiber in handmade rugs and carpets.
- It will not wear off like other stain repellants and will leave your rug’s color, feel and texture unchanged while remaining safe and non-toxic.
- It helps to prevent all types of oil and water based stains and spills.
- Rug padding greatly prevents wear.
- We carry a full line of carpet padding that can be delivered to you when we return your cleaning order. We can also ship the right pad for your individual needs via UPS.
- All pads we offer are custom-cut to fit your rug or to your exact specifications.
- Types of pads include: Dura Hold, Non-Skid, No-Muv, Rug-Lock, Ozite, and Summit padding.
- Don’t wait for a small repair to become a major restoration. Look into our repair services and reweaving for your oriental rug.
We can expertly reweave holes, renap worn areas, restore moth damage, repair seams, reduce a rug’s size, rewrap the binding on the side, reweave worn or missing fringes, sew on artificial fringes, unravel and overcast worn fringes and patch holes.
- Vacuum your rugs and carpets regularly.
- Rotate your rugs 180 degrees at least once a year.
*For more on buying a rug, refer to Consumer Reports Magazine- August 1999 issue, which is a must read for anyone interested in purchasing a rug, or for anyone who is simply interested in addition information