Do you know how to properly maintain your fine rugs, carpets, furniture and drapes? We do!
Check out Rug Renovating's carpet care tips:
1. Never clean handmade or machine-made rugs in your home no matter what anyone tells you, even if it is inexpensive.
- Handmade Oriental and machine made carpets should be cleaned every 2 to 4 years, as suggested by Dan Hodges, President of the Oriental Rug Importers Association.
- Never ever allow a wall-to-wall carpet cleaning firm to clean an oriental or area rug in your home.
2. Always have your area rug taken out of the home and cleaned by a professional company that specializes in Oriental rugs.
- “Over time grit and dirt become embedded so deeply that professional cleaning is required. Oriental rugs and other area carpets should be taken out of the home for proper cleaning.”- Dan Hodges.
- The cleaning will remove the grit as well as the surface soiling that gradually dulls the appearance of the carpet.
3. Protect your wool rugs and carpets from stains and soil. Wool handmade and machine-made rugs and carpets are sold without any type of stain protection. Wool as a fiber is very absorbent. We have seen countless incidents where a spill or an accident has irreversibly stained a beautiful rug. Stain protection is a must for any rug or carpet.
- Fiber-Guard provides a superior top-to-bottom protection on each and every fiber in handmade rugs and carpets, wall-to-wall carpet, fabric and leather furniture, wall fabrics and draperies.
- It will not wear off like other stain repellents and will leave your fabric’s color, feel and texture unchanged while remaining safe and non-toxic. It helps prevent all types of oil and water based stains and spills.
4. Spills and accidents should be addressed immediately. Have the proper tools on hand so you will be ready to act.
- You can order the finest spot and stain remover kit from us which includes a bottle of Detergent Solution, a bottle of Dry Cleaner Solution, a bottle of Absorb-A-Spill, our Interior Care & Maintenance Guide, One Personal Spotting Towel, Instructions on Proper Usage, and an Easy to Use Reorder Form.
5. Padding is a must to protect and prolong the life of rugs and carpets.
- Carpet padding greatly prevents wear.
- We carry a full line of carpet padding that can be delivered to you when we return your cleaning order. We can also ship the right pad for your needs via UPS.
6. Don’t wait for a small repair to become a major restoration.
- Our master craftspeople can do almost any type of repair on both antique and cotemporary handmade rugs, custom made rugs, machine made rugs such as Karastans and Couristan and broadloom carpet.
- We can expertly reweave holes, renap worn areas, restore moth damage, repair seems, reduce a rug’s size, rewrap the binding on the side, reweave worn missing fringes, sew on artificial fringes, unravel and overcast worn fringes and patch holes.
7. Vacuum your rugs and carpets frequently.
8. Rotate your rugs 180 degrees at least once a year.
9. Installed Broadloom Carpet should only be cleaned using the steam soil extraction method.
- The main ways to clean a carpet is through shampoo, carbonated water, bonnet, dry powder and steam extraction.
- We use steam cleaning and we aren’t the only ones who recommend it. Shaw Carpet, the largest manufacture of broadloom carpet in the world, recommends the hot water extraction system, which research indicates provides the best capability for cleaning.
10. Wall-to-wall carpeting should be cleaned every 18 months according to Dupont, the leading producer of carpet fiber.
- On your rugs and carpets, we suggest that you use a good vacuum cleaner with a motor driven brush and beater bar.
- Be careful not to get the fringe of a handmade rug caught in the brush of the vacuum.
- Use the hose connection on the vacuum to thoroughly clean all upholstered furniture, drapes and other window treatments.
11. Clean for your health all soft surfaces, rugs, carpets, furniture and drapes. Cleaning will absorb dust and dirt and keep it out of the air you breathe. If you don’t periodically clean these surfaces, dust and dirt may contribute to certain health problems.
- When our technicians arrive at your home or office they will pre-spot the problem areas, move the furniture that can be moved, thoroughly clean the carpet, replace the furniture to its original location, and put foil pads under the legs of the furniture to protect the furniture.
- We also have an even better process that we call Ultra Clean. With it, we will apply an anti-microbial treatment to your furnishings and follow this with an application of carpet protector.